Wednesday 12 February 2014

First reflection


I am new to elearning.  I found it really confusing to get everything organised including a blog site, a twitter account and to navigate around the course dashboard.  The fear was based on losing my way and not being able to find my way back.  Thank goodness for the go back button which made things slow and laborious but helped with the familiarisation and practice issues.

I am over 60 and have done lots of study and formal learning so that’s 50 years of writing in margins, highlighting, making coded notations ect.  All hardcopy, durable, tracking and memory prompts that leave me in my control.  
E learning is scary because you have to let go and change your tried and true learning methods.  Transferring  learning skills and methods into a computer via a screen where you are not sure you can find stuff again is unnerving.  As I sit here I look at the key notes I have still written down beside me.  Things that I want to think through, web addresses for the course, blog, twitter ect, to say nothing of my humungeous list of user names and passwords. 

And all this without even confronting how little I know of the jargon, concepts, definitions and meanings of things like public domain, creative commons licenses and copyright.

The great thing about seeing other peoples comments is that I am not alone.  This gives me courage, so thanks to all those honest people who are happy to share their fears.


No comments:

Post a Comment